Netgear Orbi vs Google Nest WiFi: Features and Functions
Netgear Orbi and Google Nest WiFi are the two most popular names in the ever-evolving field of wireless data networking. They are the top choice of people who love using wireless internet at their homes or workplaces. The reasons are many behind this but what separates them from others include the state-of-the-art WiFi technologies, super-advanced features, longevity, reliability, and stability. As a wireless internet user, if you are planning to invest in a wireless network, Netgear Orbi, and Google Nest could be your best options.
Here, in this comprehensive Netgear Orbi vs Google Nest WiFi guide, we will be walking you through a detailed comparison of both these devices. This comparison will help you make the right decision. Also, you will be able to pick one of these two options as per your requirements, preferences, and budget as well. Let’s get started!
An Overview of Netgear Orbi and Google Nest
Before we move to the Netgear Orbi vs Google Nest WiFi comparison part, take a quick look at the overviews of Netgear Orbi and Google Nest WiFi below:
Google Nest WiFi
Google Nest WiFi is a smart mesh WiFi device that fulfills all the luxury needs of wireless internet users. It is fully equipped with various WiFi technologies and smart WiFi features. And, when it comes to the internet speed and coverage, they are mind-blowing. They provide reliable coverage and a seamless internet experience which is ideal for 4k video streaming and heavy online gaming.
The Google Nest WiFi system comes with a smart WiFi router and additional points. These combine as a unit and work together to create a unified WiFi network. But, this smart mesh WiFi system not only offers fast and stable internet connectivity but also integrates with Google Assistant- a virtual assistant that accepts voice commands to display the results. This integration of the Nest WiFi and Google Assistant allows you to control your smart home devices and access voice commands. It can be readily managed through the user-friendly Google Home app.
Netgear Orbi WiFi
Unlike Google Nest, the manufacturer of Orbi WiFi completely belongs to the field of wireless data networking. This is why Netgear Orbi is a more reliable WiFi product as compared to Google Nest. It is a powerful WiFi system that excels in all three departments including speed, coverage, and performance. The manufacturers specifically designed this WiFi device to fulfill the internet needs of larger homes with multiple floors. There is a tri-band feature on the device, which includes a dedicated 5GHz band for efficient communication between the router and the satellite. This results in maximum speed and network coverage.
Apart from this, the device uses Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) technology which enables it to deliver the best possible internet services. Users can control and manage this WiFi network with the help of the Orbi app. You can download and install it on your mobile device either from Google Play Store or App Store.
Comparing Netgear Orbi vs Google Nest WiFi
Below is a detailed Netgear Orbi vs Google Nest WiFi comparison. Check out all the points deeply as this will give you an idea of which device perfectly fits your internet needs.
Top Features of the Netgear Orbi Device
- Tri-Band WiFi: Orbi makes use of a tri-band system, with a dedicated 5GHz frequency for quicker communication.
- Superior Coverage: Orbi is renowned for its superior network coverage, which makes it perfect for big homes or regions.
- More than a Few Ethernet Ports: Orbi routers have more than a few Ethernet ports, enabling users to immediately connect wired devices like computers and laptops to the router.
- Parental Controls: Orbi has powerful parental control capabilities that let users regulate and limit internet access for particular individuals or devices. This device is specifically for controlling children accessing bad websites.
- Guest Network: It gives users an option to set up an individualized guest network, ensuring visitors have secure access without jeopardizing their primary network.
Top Features of the Google Nest WiFi or Google WiFi
- Mesh Network: Google Nest utilizes a super advanced mesh network system, allowing multiple devices (routers and points) to work together seamlessly. This creates a unified mesh network.
- Network Coverage: Nest Wi-Fi offers reliable coverage, and is suitable for small to medium-sized homes and offices. It is not an ideal pick if you are looking for an internet solution for your large space.
- Google Assistant Integration: Google Nest comes with a smart speaker and microphone option. This allows users to make use of voice commands to control their smart home devices.
- Device Prioritization: Google Nest allows users to prioritize certain devices for faster speeds, ensuring a smooth experience for the one you want.
- WiFi Pause: With this feature, you can have control over unnecessarily increasing screen time by pausing the internet access for specific devices or users temporarily.
- Automatic Updates: Nest routers receive automatic firmware updates, ensuring you have the newest security patches and features.
These are a few unique features that separate these WiFi networks from each other. To know more differences between the devices, read the next part of the Netgear Orbi vs Google Nest WiFi comparison below.
Major Functions of the Netgear Orbi Device
- Seamless Roaming: Netgear Orbi offers seamless roaming. This is a unique feature that enables automatic switching between the router and the satellite.
- Advanced Security: It also provides high-end security features, including built-in antivirus protection, data theft prevention, and vulnerability assessment for connected devices.
- Beamforming Technology: Orbi utilizes beamforming technology to focus WiFi signals directly toward connected devices, resulting in reduced network interference.
Major Functions of the Google Nest
- Smart Home Integration: Google Nest works harmoniously with other Google Assistant-compatible smart devices, enabling control through voice commands and the Google Home app.
- Network Assist: Nest Wi-Fi features Network Assist, which optimizes your network for the best performance and automatically adjusts channel settings to minimize congestion.
- Google WiFi App: The user-friendly Google Wi-Fi app provides convenient control over your network, including network monitoring, device prioritization, and parental controls.
Now that you know the clear difference between the features and functions of these devices, let’s move to the setup part of this Netgear Orbi vs Google Nest WiFi comparison.
Configurations of Netgear Orbi
- Using the included Ethernet wire, join your modem to the Orbi router.
- Wait for the LED to turn completely white after turning on the Orbi router.
- To finish the installation procedure, first complete the Orbi router login process and then adhere to the on-screen directions on the Orbi app or web-based setup portal.
- Optionally, link more Orbi satellites by positioning them where they will provide the most coverage.
Configuration of Google Nest
- Link the Google Nest router to your modem.
- On your smartphone, download the Google Home app and then follow the setup instructions.
- Register a Google account or login in with one you already have.
- To configure your Google Nest devices and set up your Wi-Fi network, follow the instructions in the Google Home app.
- If necessary, install additional Nest Wi-Fi hotspots in suitable locations to increase the coverage of your network.
Both Google Nest and Netgear Orbi provide strong Wi-Fi systems with distinctive features and functionalities. In terms of coverage, tri-band technology, and cutting-edge security features like Netgear Armour, Netgear Orbi excels. In contrast, Google Nest functions as a smart speaker that interacts with Google Assistant. It also offers a user-friendly interface for network control. To compare Netgear Orbi vs Google Nest WiFi correctly and choose the ideal option for your Wi-Fi network, take into account your unique requirements. It should include your home’s size, desired features, and budget. Your preference and budget will also matter in this case. Apart from this, do not forget to consult an expert as he/she might give you the best advice.
Lastly, we would add that if you brought the device home, but are not sure how to get started with it, you can approach us. We provide quality technical support services to resolve issues related to login, setup, reset, firmware update, etc.